Yumi Kamata has been serving up jet-black espresso, sudsy craft beer and well-stuffed sandwiches for around three years at the uber-cool Sidewalk Stand, a coffee shop facing the cherry tree-lined Meguro River in hip Nakameguro.
A loyal following of non-Japanese customers make regular trips to the riverside spot for a pick-me-up, favoring the shop's signature strong espresso.
The real way to enjoy Nakameguro is to hang around the riverside, dipping into the cool cafes, bars and quirky shops. There is a real sense of community here. It's especially fun in April when people pack the riverside for cherry blossom season, but I suggest coming by in May as well when the fresh green shoots take over from the pink petals.
1. The select shop called "vendor," with its well-stocked clothes racks and shelves
2. I love dropping into Baja—a Mexican restaurant dishing up burritos and tacos
3. When I have a free day, I like to sit down for a healthy lunch at Aoya
4. If I'm feeling hungry, I like going to Maruya for a few grilled meat skewers
5. I enjoy browsing around a quirky place called Have a good time—a great place for souvenirs